Area of Specialty: Schizoaffective Disorder
Schizoaffective Disorder is often described as being a mix of both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It is characterized by instability of mood with periods of both mania and depression, as well as the presence of psychotic symptoms such as voices that are present when not in a manic or depressed state.
The cause of schizoaffective disorder is not well understood, but there are several factors that contribute to worsening of symptoms which can help guide treatment interventions.
Removing Obstacles in Schizoaffective Disorder
The most common obstacles to healing in schizoaffective disorder are:
- Poor diet high in inflammatory processed foods with low nutrient density
- Lack of regular exercise
- Specific nutrient deficiencies such as vitamin D and B12, or deficiencies caused by prolonged medication use
- Disrupted circadian rhythm or lack of consistent routine
- Thyroid dysfunction
Stimulate Healing in Schizoaffective Disorder
At Resilience Naturopathic, we have found that the most effective method to stimulate healing in schizoaffective disorder is homeopathy. This unique system of medicine is the cornerstone to our success in the Resilience Method as it helps our patients find balance and stability.
With homeopathy, those suffering from bipolar disorder
- Have progressively less intense highs and lows
- Have increasingly longer periods of mood stability
- Are able to bounce back from life’s ups and downs that would previously have triggered a mood episode
- Progressive reduction of psychotic symptoms at any stage of the condition
- Gradually reduce their medication
- Get better as a whole person – mind, body and spirit
- Feel like themselves again!
Symptoms of mania may include:
- Excessive energy with little to no need for sleep
- Grandiose thinking
- Pressured speech and rapid thoughts
- Risky behaviors
- Restlessness, agitation, or irritability
- Hallucinations or paranoia in some cases
Symptoms of depression may include:
- Feelings of sadness or guilt that persist for long periods of time, often without cause
- Changes in sleep, either too little or too much
- Changes in appetite with weight loss or weight gain
- Feeling slowed down or agitated
- Decreased interest in activities that used to bring pleasure
- Frequent thoughts of death or suicide
Symptoms of psychosis may include:
- Auditory hallucinations
- Visual hallucinations
Reclaim Your happiness, joy, freedom, life
It call all starts with a simple phone call. Get in touch today and learn more about the Resilience Treatment Method.
A Case Study in Schizoaffective Disorder
Cody* found Resilience Naturopathic when he was searching for ways to effectively wean himself off Risperdal™ which he had been taking for schizoaffective disorder, as well as medications for anxiety. He had started the weaning process already and was down to 2.5mg and was starting to have a worsening of his symptoms. He was noticing the onset of fluctuations of his mood, and was having increasing paranoia. Rather than increase the medication, he opted to start homeopathic treatment.
During his initial visit, Cody recounted his single episode of mania that had landed him in the hospital and his subsequent diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. He had significant paranoia, and visual hallucinations. Specifically, he believed that he was seeing faces everywhere in the hospital room. He was frightened and that made him angry. When he got angry he had a bright red face, dilated pupils, and became completely unable to swallow. These symptoms are effectively treated by homeopathic Belladonna.
Cody had a significant improvement on the remedy, and by his second follow up we were able to completely eliminate his antipsychotic medications and he was able to return to full time work. Through continued homeopathic treatment, Cody and his doctor worked to gradually reduce and successfully eliminate the anxiety medications as well. Off his medications he has flourished in his work and relationships.
*Name and age have been changed to protect the privacy of the patient.
**Results of services will vary from person to person.